In Managing Construction Quality, construction safety expert witness Pete Fowler describes how “the good old days” are gone and construction professionals are now living in a new world:
• Consumers expect increasing quality and decreasing prices in all products.
• The building industry is not keeping pace with the quality and price advances many industries are making.
• Consumers are more litigious than ever and there is a proliferation of attorneys.
• The building industry is not attracting the best and brightest young people.
• The built-environment has been altered in the last 20 years, including increased complexity, less fault-tolerant materials, and tighter, slower drying buildings.
• Consumers are more conscious of building-related health issues than ever.
• In some areas, a lack of skilled construction labor makes the construction professional’s job even more critical.