Foot and ankle surgery expert witness Dr. Douglas E. Stabile writes that foot and ankle problems usually fall into the following categories:
* Acquired from improper footwear, physical stress, or small mechanical changes within the foot.
* Arthritic foot problems, which typically involve one or more joint.
* Congenital foot problems, which occur at birth, are generally inherited.
* Infectious foot problems, which are caused by bacterial, viral, or fungal disorders.
* Neoplastic disorders, usually called tumors, which are the result of abnormal growth of tissue and may be benign or malignant.
* Traumatic foot problems, which are associated with foot and ankle injuries.