In All Should Use Greater Care Handling Underwriting Information, insurance practices expert witness Akos Swierkiewicz writes:
The following are examples of alleged misrepresentations or omissions involving litigation:
* the broker asked the applicant to sign a blank application form, completed and released it to the insurer without providing copy to the applicant;
* the applicant did not review an application prepared by the broker, which contained a misrepresentation or omission;
* the broker did not ask the applicant about past losses and provided the wrong answer in the application;
* the applicant and broker did not communicate clearly about the scope of coverage and limits sought in the application;
* an application question was ambiguous to the applicant and the answer was incorrect;
* the insurer did not seek clarification of an ambiguous response to an application question.