Posted On: August 18, 2013 by Karen Olson

Child Safety Expert Witnesses & Laundry Detergent Poisonings

Child safety expert witnesses may testify on poisoning prevention, playground injuries, electrical safety in the home, and childhood injuries, as well as related issues. In the news, a 7-month-old boy died after eating a laundry detergent "pod" which was accidentally left where he was sleeping. The American Association of Poison Control Centers writes:

Poison centers receive many calls each year about children getting into laundry detergent. Swallowing it often causes mild stomach upset, if there are any symptoms at all, but poison center experts say the new highly concentrated single-load liquid laundry detergent packets seem to be different.

Some children who have gotten the product in their mouths have had excessive vomiting, wheezing and gasping. Some get very sleepy. Some have had breathing problems serious enough to need a ventilator to help them breathe. There have also been reports of corneal abrasions (scratches to the eyes) when the detergent gets into a child’s eyes.

Read more: http://www.aapcc.org/